Barton Solvents, Inc.
Our Company : Company History
Bud Barton was working for a petroleum products producer, delivering naphtha to dry cleaning
establishments in central Iowa until one day in 1938 when the company announced that it was
dropping his route. Bud was reluctant to abandon his customers, so he set up an office in his
home and went into business. His first task was buying an old truck just to have something to
trade in on a new one.
By 1946, Bud Barton had put enough money aside to open his own plant at 116 Forest Avenue
in Des Moines, Iowa. With inventory capacity, he was ready to expand. That year several major
producers appointed him as a distributor of their solvents and chemicals. In 1948 the company
opened a second facility in Bettendorf, Iowa.
As Barton Naphtha built a reputation for reliability, new markets developed. In 1952, a Council Bluffs,
Iowa facility opened routes in Nebraska. The list of products grew until in 1972 the company name
was changed to Barton Solvents, Inc. Then a Wichita plant began serving Kansas in 1979. In 1983
the company moved to a new central plant and established corporate headquarters on N.E. Broadway
in Des Moines. A Kansas City plant to serve Kansas and Missouri was opened in 1989. A West Bend,
Wisconsin warehouse was opened in 2000 and in 2007 a new facility was built. In 2012 the Wichita
facility was relocated to El Dorado, Kansas. Today, Barton Solvents is a major supplier of chemical
products to thousands of customers in thirteen states.
Bud Barton passed away on June 21st, 1996. Barton Solvents, Inc. remains a family owned business
and Bud's business ethic is still faithfully practiced. A veteran management team remains committed
to delivering only quality products, at fair prices, with an extra measure of customer service. More
than seventy five years after it began, the spirit is still the same.